Friday, May 16, 2014

Hilarious! Brandon's First Day in Antigua

I think this will be a short blog because I am using my phone to write my blog.  Today was my last day of class and I will now join my young adult, Brandon. Dennie met Brandon at church last Sunday to give him some things I forgot and told me later, "He is SO young and cute. You are going to have to keep an eye on him so the young ladies don't steal him!" So while I have been going to my Spanish school in Antigua, Brandon has been staying with Jaco and Sandy in Alotenango and doing ministry with Jaco at Village of Hope in San Lucas. Today I finished classes, so Brandon joined me for his first day in Antigua.  He did not have a plan so he got to tag with me. The first place we went was Fernando's for lunch and some chocolate for gifts.  Then we visited the family that I stayed with with two years ago and had a great time visiting.  They remembered me with affection and Brandon did great with his Spanish. They also invited us for dinner the following evening. After visiting my first Antigua family, we climbed Cerro de la Cruz and then we toured the nicest hotel in Antigua, Hotel Santo Domingo. That was enough walking for a while, so we headed to the plaza to find a bench so Brandon could study for his dental admissions test and I could study my Spanish. 
   And this is where the fun began. For some reason this had never happened to me before.  Brandon and I would be studying and a young school girl would step up, hand ME her camera and say, "Will you take my picture?" And when I stood up, she would sit down next to Brandon so I could take their picture.  After I took the picture, it was smile-thank you-good bye. This happened more than once. Dennie's concerns were being realized. Of course I was so concerned that I took a few shots myself and posted them to Brandon's Facebook page.
    After the park, we met my Spanish teacher from last year who just happened to bring her 17 year old daughter with her. We sat down for coffee and my teacher made her daughter practice her English with Brandon while she tortured me with my last Spanish lesson.  It was pretty funny while they all teased me about my age. Brandon even piled on and said I would never have to conjugate the Usted conjugation because I would always be older than anyone I was talking to. I guess you need to know Spanish to think that is funny. Actually the three of them thought it was much funnier than I thought it was.
   Then we bid our good byes, Brandon and I returned to the plaza to study and wait for Sandy to come pick us up and take us to Alotenango, our next home for a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment